Lost in a sea of confusion!

Post your experiences with podcast hosting services aside from media hosts here. For example, WordPress Plugins, Squarespace, Wixx, etc. Please post inquiries in the Service Inquiry forum.
Johnny P

Lost in a sea of confusion!

Post by Johnny P » Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 pm

My podcast is not up and running yet. One of the things I have to decide on is my web & media hosting. I want to use Wordpress.org, so I'll be able to monetize it If I choose. I have decided to use Blurry & Powerpress over Lybsyn because I'm terrible with computers and understand that it intergrates a little more easily for the technically challenged. For my web host, lately I've heard a lot of good things about a site recommended by Daniel J Lewis and Ray Ortega named: Siteground.
Now, Blubrry has a new service called: Powerpress Sites Deluxe. It's not clear to me if I'd still need a web host with it, like Siteground, or is that included. Again, I'm looking for ease of use and simplicity for the technically challenged, so I can I concentrate on content. Suggestions and comments are very much appreciated. A show on Powerpress Sites Deluxe or a best combination of services and ease of intergration from the Better Podcasting "Guru's" (Starring "STARGATE PIONEER", along with his faithful sidekick...err, what's his name?, oh yeah: Stephen Jondrew) would be wonderful! Thanks and no aspirations towards Stephen, but he does say:"Starring "STARGATE PIONEER". Haha.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: Lost in a sea of confusion!

Post by StephenJondrew » Tue May 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Hey Johnny, I don't have experience with Powerpress Sites Deluxe, but as the resident self-hosting/blubrry/Wordpress user here, I have to say that I think we may have confused you! Even though I don't use Libsyn personally (technically Better Podcasting does, but as you said, that's Better Podcasting Starring Stargate Pioneer), I have to say that if I were someone starting a podcast which was not technical, I would lean toward a mediahost (Libsyn for example) over the Wordpress route. With the wordpress route you'll need to purchase a webhost (as you said), setup a Wordpress installation, install the PowerPress plugin. Then you'll also have to find a place that you can host your media files (some webhosts can, some can't). You'll also have to maintain Wordpress as having out of date Wordpress plugins or themes can create security vulnerabilities which can lead to disaster.

On the flip side, services such as Libsyn and Podbean (and perhaps Blubrry Powerpress Sites Deluxe, but I'm not familiar with those), make it so that you have a website right on their site. Usually it is a subdomain (for example betterpodcasting.libsyn.com). Now, it depends of course on how far you need to go with your website. What is included with something like Libsyn or Podbean is somehwat limited, but if your website is primarily centered around your podcast, I think it does for many people. For someone who is technically challenged, I think that going this route would be far more straight forward than going the Wordpress route.

As mentioned in episode 65 of Better Podcasting (and heck even the Download in the latest episode), there are potential future-proofing benefits you get by going the Wordpress route, but bottom line, in my opinion (and I can say with 100% confidence SP's as well) that going the route of Libsyn will be easier for someone as you say "technically challenged"... if of course their sites will do what you want.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Johnny P

Post by Johnny P » Tue May 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Stephen, Thanks for the fast reply. The May 17, 2017 Powerpresspodcast.com site, announced the new "PowerPress Sites Deluxe" (along with a Basic & a Pro edition). Also the May 29, 2017 "Your Podcast" #006 with Todd Cochran and Mike Dell, they talk about it's brand new release. On the website (May 17th, 2017) they announce that it's a turnkey package that allows you to use your own website (domain purchased separately) and that their team keeps the site secure, backed up and regularly updated. However, it's capabilities aren't yet clear to me.
I'm hoping someone that's knowledgeable about it and the other options you mentioned can give me a better understanding of them. On an older podcast that had Dave Jackson on (before he worked for Libsyn) he mentioned that for older non-tech people Blubrry was probably better, but Libsyn was his favorite for most people. I think he has a lot of integrity and even with with his association with Libsyn now, I think he'd give the same advice (if it still applied with changes both companies have made in the couple of years that have gone by since that podcast). Anyhow, I really appreciate your response and I am also hoping to get a few more facts, thoughts and opinions about it. One last thing, I do not want a sub domain on their site. I want full control of my site and of what I can do with it. Thanks again,

Johnny P

Post by Johnny P » Wed May 31, 2017 8:05 pm

An Update: PowerPress Sites are a new service available from Blubrry. I believe it will be reviewed a lot in the next few weeks and months to come. It may or may not be what I'm looking for, but initially it looks promising. I intend to monetize my podcast, thus I will be using Wordpress and will not use a sub domain. I just found a pretty good review of PowerPress Sites Deluxe from Daniel J Lewis on YouTube at https//m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekm9wlmpw . If the non-""Pretty Link" didn't work, it's on YouTube by Keying in: Daniel J Lewis, Concrete5 for podcasting, Blubrry Power Press Sites, Libsyn RSS feed,and more podcasting Q & A. He explains a lot about it & the Deluxe version I may or may not be interested in. It's from a live stream with him and he discusses that between about 9:30 minutes in, till just past 20 minutes. I'm looking to more reviews as the weeks go by on this new turnkey option.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks for the update on this. :)
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Johnny P

Post by Johnny P » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:23 pm

******Latest Update******: I have gotten a more definitive answer to my Blubrry PowerPress Sites Deluxe question from the kind Daniel J. Lewis. As a newbie still trying to get the foundation right for my non-techie skills, I'm trying to get more of a one-stop location for my hosting, security and updating needs. There hasn't seemed to be an all in one solution up till now. From what I could decipher, the new, just released, PowerPress Sites Deluxe seemed to be the closest I could find. I still had a few questions and this following answer from Daniel J. Lewis seems to answer most of my concerns: "Johnny, Yes, PowerPress Sites would replace your need for SiteGround" (webhost). "The Deluxe version will give you access to a collection of plugins, and the Pro version will let you use any plugin you want. Instead of comparing it to SiteGround or Hostgator, compare it to a high managed, high-performance provider like WP Engine.
With a PowerPress Site, your updates, caching performance, and security would be managed for you.
So the cost will be your Blubrry media hosting plus your PowerPress Site. It's a higher cost than DIY solutions, but you don't have to worry about as much".
That's what I have found out thus far. It will be a few months before I'll be prepared to utilize it, but for my computer skill set, it sounds like the best solution at the moment. I just wanted everyone in the forum to know that there seems to now be an all-in-one solution for anyone having that need. Just one more option now available. Daniel J. Lewis will also have his own version of the PowerPress Sites Deluxe soon. I hope this helps someone else out there.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 am

It definitely seems to be a growing service. I actually like the new Libsyn pages but they are limited in functionality. I'm not sure anyone that really wanted to monetize could do so holistically on a Libsyn Page. Libsyn does give you a blog page on the site now but there's no ability to insert plugins for ad revenue or specifically c pages for specific content like a storefront. The PowerPress Pro sites look appealing for someone wanting a full service site but not able to put in all the work to maintain one - at a cost. In the other hand, for someone wanting to just put content out and have a landing page Libsyn is still my preferred solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Johnny P

Post by Johnny P » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

It appears that there may be
many correct ways to go about this, depending on what you and your podcast needs are. A simple chart would be most welcome to the beginning podcaster. Comprised of potential "Best Ways". First of all: Are you going to montenize, if so, will you have a website, and if so will you have a store front? If hobby only, will you have a website or not. There are probably a dozen or more equations on the different type podcasting needs.
I believe that I probably have the answer to my particular needs, however, if there was a graph that could give a new podcaster a guide to select their needs & wants, considering your particular technical skill level, that would be most helpful.
Yes, options are always changing, just like the new Blubrry PowerPress Sites. But a graph considering new solutions could always be updated from time to time when new features or solutions are added.
Please, continue this thread if you can add clarity, or an opinion that might help a new podcaster in the future. Thanks guys!