What Is Your Favorite Go To Microphones?

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
StephenJondrew
Site Admin

What Is Your Favorite Go To Microphones?

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am

Let's make this a short and sweet mini-review thread. What is your favorite go-to microphone that you personally use? I'm not saying the one you think is the best for the masses, or the most affordable, but what is the one you like best and why? What is your honorable mention?

I will start. Mine is the Audio-Technica BP40. You may have seen me cycle through a few large style dynamic microphones. While many of them have qualities I like (Rode Procaster), every time I come back to the BP40 I find that it gives me the clarity I want, the sound I enjoy and is just a great match for my voice. Many of the others I've tried have had too much upper end or too much lower end. While the BP40 needs to be EQd a bit, I find for my voice in the end it yields a good sound.

My honorable mention is the Blue Encore 100. This microphone has an amazing clarity and imo offers a fantastic sound for an excellent price point. If I didn't need the USB function of the AT2005, this would be my travel mic.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

ScottSmith14

Re: What Is Your Favorite Go To Microphones?

Post by ScottSmith14 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 pm

My go-to Studio microphone goes to the Electro Voice RE 20. I've experimented with a half a dozen microphones on our podcast and have always come back to the RE 20. Pros: It provides a great combination of clarity and warmth. Cons: It's a gain hog. weight, and the price.

My go-to on the road microphone goes to the Sennheiser MD 46. You'll look like you know what you doing. Pros: Reduces background noise, made in Germany, and great clarity. Cons: Lots of quality cheaper options for a road microphone.

BandrewSays

Post by BandrewSays » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 pm

My favorite mic so far is my Shure SM7b. For me it just fits my voice better than most other broadcast dynamics that I have used. I'm actually REALLY enjoying the RE320 as well, but don't think it has taken over my #1 slot yet.
Podcastage, Owner / Host
Bandrew Says Podcast, Owner / Host
Geeks Rising, Founder / Editor-in-Chief

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 pm

My choices are very limited, as I've only used four mics over my podcasting career, and two of them I forget the make and model of. That leaves a Blue Yeti or Audio Technica AT2005.

I think you can guess my pick.

I'd love to try a SM7B, but they're not cheap, and I have a very low voice. And my understanding is they work best with higher voices.

yakko

Post by yakko » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 pm

I don't have a bunch of mics laying around, but if I had to pick a go-to mic in the field, it would be my iPhone since that's always with me.
In my normal recordings it's an AT2005.

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 pm

My favourite studio microphone is the RØDE NTG-3.

My favourite handheld/interview mic is the Sennheiser MD46.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:27 pm

joshuacliston wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 pm
My favourite studio microphone is the RØDE NTG-3.

My favourite handheld/interview mic is the Sennheiser MD46.
Are the Rode's less expensive in Australia?
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Garth

Post by Garth » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:37 am

My favourite mic is my RØDE NT1, love that thing. I also use a RØDE Procaster, but only when I really, really, want the fan on in the studio. P.S. Recently got the Procaster, for about $AU175 absolute bargain - not sure if RøDE stuff always much cheaper here in Australia though.